Happy Monday! It’s time for the third installation of my beginner workout series – the Booty Basics Workout. This is my absolute favorite kind of workout, so get ready to get those glutes in gear. :) This is a fast-moving and fun circuit routine that will leave you sore (in a good way) the next day!
- Squats – Stand with feet slightly more than shoulder width apart. Keeping the core strong, squat down until your thighs are parallel to the floor (or as close to parallel as you can go). You can keep your hands by your sides, clasp them in front of your chest, or hold hand weights and perform a bicep curl as you squat.
- Lunges – Stand with feet slightly more than shoulder width apart. Keep the upper body straight and the core strong throughout this exercise. Step forward with the right foot and lower the hips so that both knees are at a 90 degree angle. Return to start. Complete all the reps on this leg before switching sides. Note: Make sure the knee you’re lunging with doesn’t go too far forward. It should stay in line with your ankle.
- Single-leg deadlifts – This one’s a little tricky, but very effective! Stand with feet slightly more than shoulder width apart, hands at your sides. Driving weight into your right heel, keep your upper body totally straight and lean forward as you lift the left leg behind you and reach your fingertips toward the ground. Bend your legs slightly if you need to. To make this move more challenging, hold hand weights. Return to start. Complete all the reps on this leg before switching legs.
- Backward leg extensions – Stand with feet slightly more than shoulder width apart, fingertips on the back of a chair for balance if needed. Extend the right leg behind you and point your toe so the top of your right foot is resting on the ground. Raise the right leg as high as you can, hold for two seconds, and lower. Complete all the reps on this leg before switching legs.
- Hip raises – Lay on your back, knees bent and feet on the floor, hands by your sides. Raise your hips as high as you can, keeping your core strong. Hold for two seconds, then lower to the floor.
- Hamstring curls – Start on all fours, hands directly below shoulders. Extend left leg straight out behind you, then bend left knee to 90 degrees so your heel faces the ceiling. Straighten the knee and repeat. Complete all the reps on this leg before switching legs.
Whew! I hope you enjoy this one as much as I did. I think being sore from a killer workout is one of the best feelings in the world – and this routine definitely delivers. :) Do this routine a few times a week and you’ll be rockin’ a better booty in no time!
Question: What’s your favorite strength training workout?